Here you will find all the latest news and events relating to the REPCET project since its launch. You can search for a particular event by date or keyword using the search engine opposite.
If you would like to keep up to date on the progress of the project, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter on the home page.
REPCET’s objective: 20 ships to be equipped by summer 2012The REPCET system is now available in an operational version. Its deployment is currently on going. Three ships are equipped to date:
- The Kalliste (La Méridionale)
- The Girolata* (La Méridionale)
- The Napoléon Bonaparte* (SNCM)
Three other ships are still equipped with an experimental system, that has to be replaced soon by the operational version (the Scandola, from La Méridionale, the Raymond Croze from France Télécom Marine, and the Pacifica de Costa Cruise).
The CROSSMED (French MRCC) is also equipped since 2010. Following a strong protocol, it transmits a lot of alerts reported by yachtsmen.
La Méridionale, the first shipowner company to be equipped with the operational version, also promised to equip all its fleet by the end of the year (press release).
Talks are in progress with other shipowners with the goal of equipping twenty ships by summer 2012.
*Subscriptions for the Girolata and the Napoléon Bonaparte are funded by The Pelagos Sanctuary during one year. Others subscriptions are taken care by shipowners themselves.
ENMM Collisions training course 2011ENMM Collisions training course 2011, enrolments now open on www.souffleursdecume.com!
Since 2000, navigation companies and researchers have been working towards a common goal: to limit the risks of collision between large cetaceans and commercial vessels, a frequent event in the Mediterranean. Since 2005, amongst a range of other programmes this alliance has been developing a training course for watchkeeping personnel (active or in training) operating in the Mediterranean. This course is free and takes place every year at the École Nationale de la Marine Marchande de Marseille (French National Merchant Marine School of Marseille).
LaunchWith impeccable timing, the first version of REPCET sees the light of day in 2010, International Year of Biodiversity! The REPCET system will be launched on the 21st of July at 7pm at the premises of CROSSMED in la Garde (83):
CROSSMED La Garde, Fort Sainte-Marguerite, 83130 LA GARDE
Schedule for the evening:
7–8 pm :
- Welcome drinks and buffet
8–9 pm :
- Word of welcome from the Director of Maritime Affaires or his representative.
- Whales of the Pelagos Sanctuary, and collisions (15 minutes).
- [b]REPCET[b]: history, simulator and partners (20 minutes).
- Address by representatives of the shipowners involved in the tests: Costa Croisières, France Télécom Marine, La Méridionale, SNCM (National Corsica Mediterranean Company) (25 minutes).
- Screening of the film «Les Géants de Pelagos» (The Giants of Pelagos) produced for the occasion with the kind contribution of Nicolas Hulot (6 minutes).
9–10 pm :
- Concert Whale and Double bass by Bernard Abeille
Approximately 150 people are expected to attend (shipowners and seagoing personnel, State representatives, NGO, research centres, foundations, etc.)
Entry by invitation. Further information from Souffleurs d’Ecume: email@example.com.
Download the press release.